Lesson Learned in Software Testing .... interviewing

I go to interviews from time to time.

One of these interviews reminded me the importance of being clear of what I want in a new job:


a) define the "ideal" next job 


and 


b) interview only for jobs that match as much as possible the "ideal"


The only time when this would not apply is if I need a (any) job badly.


What happened in this case?


A recruiter called me to discuss the job.


My answer was that I am not a good fit.


The role was pure managerial and I am interested mostly in the hands-on work.


After a day or so, the recruiter's manager called and offered the role again.


Since I knew this person for some time, I agreed to go to the interview and then "see what happens".


The 1st interview went ok.


The 2nd interview went ok as well, from my point of view.


The answer from the client was that they selected the other candidate from the short list since I seem to be interested more in the hands-on work.


This was the response even if in the interview, I behaved as a potential QA manager and not as a QA lead or tester.


I did not lack skills, knowledge or experience since I was a QA manager for almost 7 years.


But the client's response was clear: not me.


I was not surprised at all by the response and was prepared for it.


This job was clearly not exciting.


I actually am glad that it did not go through.


I only interviewed for it out of curiosity and ... to please the recruiter.


What did I loose from the interview? 


The pay for the hours away from the office for the interview.


Nothing is free in life but I never imagined "paying" for an interview.


What did I get?


Proof that I should go with my instinct and only interview for jobs that excite me, make me to really want to do the work.


Everything else is just a waste of time, at least on my side.


Interviewing "just to see what happens" or for "far from ideal" roles is not a good deal.


Share this